Local citizens have joined with the Airport Manager and staff to open a Freeman Army Air Field Museum near the airport office. The museum contains a large collection of memorabilia that has been collected and donated by flyers who were stationed there and other interested persons.
FREEMAN MUNICIPAL AIRPORT
Don R. Furlow, Airport Manager
Diane Schepman, Administrative Assistant
1025 A Avenue – Freeman Field
The Seymour Freeman Field Municipal Airport is owned by the city of Seymour and operated under the direction of the Airport Authority Board. Members of the Board are Lloyd Hudson, – President, Brian Thompson – Vice President, Dr. William Blaisdell – Secretary and Scott Davis. The board meets once per month at 7:15 p.m. on the third Monday in the Airport Office Meeting room.
Don R. Furlow is the Airport Manager, and he has a staff of five employees who are responsible for office and maintenance work at the airport. The staff maintains the four runways and the buildings and grounds that are a part of the facility.
Freeman Field was built during World War II, and became an important twin-engine training facility for pilots. Over 4,000 pilots were graduated from there during the war. It has been named to the list of Historical Sites in Indiana.
Following the war, the field was given to the city of Seymour. It then became an Industrial Park, and was developed to the point it is today, with 26 different businesses and industries located there. The airport has two Fixed Base Operators, and four T-hangars available. The Freeman Field Flying Association, a group of citizens interested in all the aspects of flying, has over 100 members and is very active. There are two aerial survey businesses based at the field. There are 1406 acres for agriculture, which are rented out to farmers. The Indiana National Guard 38th MSB has a facility at the field.