DEPARTMENT OF PLANNING & ZONING
301-309 N. Chestnut Street, Seymour, Indiana
Jeremy Gray, Building Commissioner
Gina Darlage, Administrative Assistant
Brent Goben, Ordinance Administrator
Department of Planning & Zoning Duties and Responsibilities:
- Issues building permits for all construction work taking place within the city limits and the two mile jurisdictional area surrounding the city.
- Inspects all construction work to assure compliance with all state codes.
- Enforces flood plain management regulations as required by FEMA and DNR.
- Assigns 911 addresses for all properties being developed within city limits and two mile jurisdictional area.
- Processes all applications for plats, rezoning, land use variances, and technical variances being filed for review and approval by Seymour Plan Commission and Board of Zoning Appeals.
- Enforces city zoning ordinances and developmental standards for properties within the city limits and the two mile jurisdictional area.
- Enforces city property maintenance code for all properties within the incorporated limits of the city.
- ADA Coordinator.
- Downtown Review Board Advisor.
- Utility Impact Board Advisor.
The Plan Commission reviewed 7 cases during the year 2013. The 7 petitions can be divided into the following categories: 1 Replat Petitions, 1 Rezone Petitions, and 2 Vacate Petitions,2 Development Plans and 1 Foundation Petition. The Plan Commission also reviewed 1 Land Use Variance Petitions and gave either favorable or unfavorable recommendation to the Board of Zoning Appeals.
The Plat Committee reviewed 5 re-plat petitions in 2013.
BOARD OF ZONING APPEALS
The Board of Zoning Appeals reviewed 24 cases in 2013. The 26 petitions can be broken down into the following categories: 1 Land Use Variance Petitions, 23 Technical Variance Petitions.
This office completed 1274 building inspections for 2013 and 863 ordinance violation inspections. The ordinance violations resulted in mowing and maintaining 43 properties. The ordinance administrator also placed 39 liens against properties for a total cost of $16,633.00 and collected $11,930.56 from liens.
The City of Seymour holds electrician’s license for 293 individuals in the city limits and a two-mile fringe.